Wednesday, December 19, 2007

El Carmen, Perú


El Carmen, Perú
Originally uploaded by fake fotos

Where was I? Bouncing back and forth along the southern coast.

A quick review: Nov. 28th, landed in Lima, got robbed, fled to the desert oasis of Huacachina for several days; Dec. 2nd, flew over Nazca lines, then back north to Pisco; in Pisco stayed at el Hostal Tambo Colorado, owned and operated by a lovely couple; from Pisco went to Paracas to catch a boat out to Las Islas Ballestas; after the boat ride, a tour of La Reserva Nacional de Paracas, incredible desert landscapes; after Pisco I made a split second decision to go back to Huacachina, what the hell; then off to Chincha for a night; in the afternoon caught a colectivo out to El Carmen, the center of Afro-Peruvian culture; much to my naive chagrin, there was no music or dancing in the streets, those travel guides paint in such broad strokes; from there I went to Lima for a couple of nights before catching a plane to Iquitos, the largest city in the word accessible only by plane or boat. Ok, that was about as quick as I could make it.

Next up, I will travel back in time to review my time in Iquitos.

No comments: